Friday, October 07, 2005

Elevators, Buses and Stuff

Recently, I have found myself having somewhat of a disdain for riding in elevators with other people. No, I don't hate people - okay, well, some days, I do; it's just the way that some people check you out and look you over as if you're in some type of beauty pageant when you enter an elevator. I HATE IT. The elevators in the building where I now work have stainless steel mirrored walls, so if I step on the elevator, and someone else is on there, I can look at the reflection of the person and see them looking me up and down with their eyes and see what type of expression they have on their face while doing so. It makes me so sick to my stomach the way people just JUDGE you based on appearance, especially while in close quarters. Same with getting on a bus. You walk up the stairs and put your fare in, and people are looking to see if you look like a model or not, and they respond accordingly with their eyes, facial expressions and body language. Then, you've got those who are judging to see if you're cute, hip or cool enough to sit next to them, and if you're neither of these and happen to sit next to them, they are not happy about it.

I'm fat, I know it, and so does everyone else, and of course, on a crowded bus, the person who has the last empty seat is usually hoping I don't sit next to them. Public transportation is a bitch most times. Then, you got the stinky folks who smell like a herd of buffalos and probably haven't used soap and water since the 70s. Then, there are the folks with their own problems and attitudes that they spew out onto others. Then, there are the sane, helpful, kind folks - the ones that you might sit next to, and they strike up a conversation about the weather or recent events, and they say "Have a good day/night" when either you or that person leaves. Then, there are the bus drivers. Good gravy on a stick!!

Some bus drivers can be just as bad as some of the people who ride the bus. Some of the bus drivers hate their jobs, so they take it out on the passengers by being hard, mean and cruel. Some bus drivers also do the judging by looks thing, and if you're short on change, but pretty enough, they'll let you pass. If not, you' ass is grass. Some bus drivers are hella cool and actually entertaining and fun, and you can chat with them, they sing, crack jokes, and make the ride seem a little bit more enjoyable. Some bus drivers are indifferent, but polite. Then you got the Playa-Playa bus drivers who holla at any woman who comes on the bus. "Say, babe, howudoin'?" *LOL* Believe me, when you've been riding the bus for as long as I have (Just learned to drive 3 years ago!), you come up on a lot of strange people and strange events.

Well, that's my rant for the day.

Tonight is Ladies Night Out at my friend's place, so I'll be busy with that and will report back on how it went. Also, hubby and I are going to a moving sale that my supervisor is having. We may not buy anything, but there's nothing wrong with window shopping. :)

Still working on maintaining my inner peace.

No comments: