Sunday, September 11, 2005

No More Buying Used Furniture!

OH MY FUCKING WHAT!

My husband and I were looking for a sofa, so I began to browse the ads here on Craigslist. I came across an ad for a sofa that had a picture attached to it. The sofa appeared to be decent, so my husband and I agreed to contact the seller and get more info about it. The ad was placed around Sunday, August 21st. I contacted the seller the evening of the 21st, and she and I set up a time for my husband and I to come over to her apartment and check the sofa out. We went over to the seller's apartment that next evening, the 22nd. We liked the sofa and decided to purchase it. We also paid an extra $20 to have her and her dad haul it to our place. They delivered the sofa to our home on August 27th, I paid the seller for the sofa and delivery, and the transaction was complete. Everything was going well, until my husband and I started smelling something foul that seemed to be coming from this sofa about a week or so ago. I had an idea of what the smell might be, but I didn't believe that it could have been that particular smell. My worst fears were confirmed, however, as you will find out below. We just sprayed some Febreeze on the sofa and thought nothing more of it...until this evening. I was lying on this sofa this evening, and all of a sudden, I saw MAGGOTS crawling on the floor. I jump up, thinking WHERE THE HELL DID THEY COME FROM?!! Sure enough, they were coming from the sofa. When my husband moved the sofa, more maggots crawled out, and sure enough, like I thought, THERE WAS A DEAD RAT UNDERNEATH THE SOFA. The rat was obviously living in this sofa before it was moved to our place, and whether or not the owner knew she had a rodent problem, I don't know, it was HORRIBLE AND DISGUSTING. My husband immediately hauled the sofa out. My skin is STILL crawling. I will never purchase another piece of used furniture from a private owner, whether from Craigslist or otherwise.

BE CAREFUL!!

No comments: